Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Rish's voicework on Audible

In need of a voice for your story, or wanting to voice on another person's production. This is the place to hook up, er... you know what I mean.

Rish's voicework on Audible

Postby bria » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Let's say one has a story that they're thinking of putting up on ACX (Audible). Let's say this same person is a fan of the Dunesteef and would love to have some of the voice talent from the show for their Audible story.

Forget the hypothetical, it's too passive...

I'm thinking about putting the novella I wrote (inspired by the Dunesteef claw machine game prompt) up on ACX but I've never done this before. There are two POV characters, a male and a female, in the story, and I love the idea of having a male to voice the male and a female for the female. I'm reading up on how to do the reading myself. Obviously this is ideal for authors because then they keep all the royalties to themselves like the selfish people that I am. However, I'm not sure that the quality will be good enough for ACX standards (haven't tried submitting quite yet) and I still like the idea of having a male voice for the other character.

Rish, you are already on ACX as a voice actor. Is it pretty easy to find you on there and send you a request to narrate my story? If I can't pull off the female part, do you know how difficult it would be for me to find someone on there for the female part? Or if it's too complicated, I might be content just having you narrate the whole thing (or if someone like Renee C. or L. Scribe Harris might be able to team up with you?). I'm still in the early stages of figuring this out and I know you're busy, esp with novel-writing. I'm in no hurry but I also understand if you take a pass. Just wanted to throw it out there in case you might be available sometime in the future. My long-term goal is to have it ready by Christmastime if that helps give a better time frame.
bria

Re: Rish's voicework on Audible

Postby Rish Outfield » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Even if you do the narration yourself, ACX/Audible/Amazon is gonna keep the majority of the money. Last I looked, they kept two-thirds, and the writer/narrator gets one-third. When I first began, it was 50/50, but hey, that's just too sweet a deal for you pathetic writers and worthless narrators, and they wisely altered it. Pray they don't alter it any further.

I could be wrong, though, and things have gotten a bit more fair.

Male narrator and female narrator is a good idea. I too have looked into doing a co-narration in the past, specifically thinking of Renee, who is the person who first suggested I do audiobooks in the first place. As it stands, there's no easy way for a duo to submit their recordings and share the profits*, and it seems like one person would have to upload the joint recordings and get the paychecks, and be trusted to pay the other. Which could work, if the partners recorded together, or were close enough to share stuff like audio files and mutual confidence.

There are hundreds and hundreds of potential narrators out there, both male and femme, and they range from very expensive (in which you keep all the royalties) to practically free (in a royalty share deal, where they split the royalties with you). Often these readers/performers will have audio samples up so you can hear what they're capable of, or you can just make your book open to auditions, and people who are interested will send you a designated sample so you can decide whether to "hire" them or not. I have a couple of contracts with publishers, so I tend not to accept any new projects anymore, but every once in a while, I will sign up to do a scary or dirty story in between books, because I enjoy that kind of thing.

I'm impressed that you're writing (and publishing), especially since it was my prompt that inspired your story. Just today, the same claw machine that caused me to challenge Big to the Broken Mirror writing was malfunctioning and trying to pick up prizes on its own. A neat little bug that amused me to watch.

*Though I suppose it's possible they could create a joint ACX account that they somehow both had access to. Which is not totally crazy, I guess.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Re: Rish's voicework on Audible

Postby bria » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 am

Thank you, Rish! You've given me lots of good info to consider.

I have a friend in town who does a podcast and it just occurred to me that I could potentially seek his help with the voicework. So hypothetically if this friend agreed to help me, say, for a fee that I paid him out of pocket, where I'm still the one with the ACX account and uploaded all the files as the author submitting them, do you know if ACX cares whether there are files with male and female voices since obviously one voice wouldn't be the author?

Sounds like that claw machine wants another story written about it, only this time more of a horror bent?
bria

Return to Voicework