Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Opinions and Advice Sought

Do you produce episodes for The Dunesteef? Or elsewhere? Here is the place that you can get with like-minded folks and ask for help, trade secrets, and boast in a most unbearable fashion.

Opinions and Advice Sought

Postby Mikes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Hey all

So, not exactly a podcast, but I started a Patreon for a serialised novel, and one of the extras I'm offering is an audio version. I was going to think about doing it at the end of the project, but a freind of mine was thinking about trying his hand at voice acting and offered his services.

Anyway, he's been sending me is recordings and I've been doing my best with Audacity and a creative commons music track, and I'd appreciate the opinions of the end result of people who actually know what they're doing, and any advise on what I could do to improve it.

Thanks in advance.

Linky.
Mikes

Re: Opinions and Advice Sought

Postby Rish Outfield » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:03 am

Not sure what advice I can give you, except for my number one rule* of writing: Read It Out Loud.

As far as production goes, less is more. Maybe just put music on the interstitial moments at the end of chapters/segments, or just the opening twenty seconds or so. Also, I am continually shocked by how low I must turn the music so it doesn't drone out the dialogue. It's not half-volume, not-third volume, but usually something crazy like one-tenth volume.

*Sadly, I have broken that rule myself lately, and published a couple of stories that horrified me when I later read them aloud.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Re: Opinions and Advice Sought

Postby Mikes » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:49 pm

Cheers for that, Rish. I know what you mean about the drowning out thing. I spent ages tweaking the soundlevels for the intro music because of that. I think it still ended up being a bit loud, but on the third chapter I had the opportunity to redo it (IE - I lost the original intro soundfile), an I think I did a better job.

Segment wise - yeah, good idea. As it stands though I'm doing one chapter at a time, so they all have their own intro/outro. When I get to the end I'll have a full audio book, so I might keep them for inbetween chapter, just getting rid of the 'You are listening to...' bit.
Mikes

Return to Producing Podcasts