Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Outfield, Rish Outfield

Self-explanatory, I would say.

Outfield, Rish Outfield

Postby Rish Outfield » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:43 am

Greetings. My name is Rish Benjamin Outfield, and I realized today I never made an introducing myself post on here. Kudos to all of you who did, even those who are no longer with us.

I have been many things: a fast food worker, an insulation installer, a call center employee, a video store clerk, a news editor, a tech support representative, an actor, a cashier, a receptionist, an IS technician, a data entry drone, an archivist at a couple of cable channels, a cereal box mascot, an overnight truck unloader, a background check processor, a file clerk, a record store salesman, a costume shop order processor, a training faciliataor for the U.S. Marines, and a television and film extra.

Mostly, though, I consider myself a writer, actor, and podcaster. I moved out to Hollywood to pursue my dream of being a screenwriter, utterly failed at that, and now pretty much concentrate on short stories. From a very young age, I enjoyed reading stories aloud and acting out the parts, sometimes doing so in a tape recorder. In the computer age, I continued to do so, with varying levels of quality.

In 2006, my friend got me a job, and introduced me to the concept of podcasts. The next year, he tried out podcasting on his own, and was actually quite good at it. He and I talked about someday getting together and doing our own podcast, a combination of my loves of performing short stories, and the talk radio format I had embraced in Los Angeles when I discovered they only played terrible music there. It took more than a year before we finally did it, and in the summer of 2008, we launched the Dunesteef Audio Fiction Magazine.

Initially, it was just the two of us, providing the majority of voices, and cajoling others into participating with us. It was something of an extraordinary effort, in which Big did the lion's share of story work, and I concentrated on the conversation segments. After a while, Big's burden was lightened by listeners who offered to produce stories themselves, read submissions, do episode art, and answer correspondence. I realized we could do a secondary podcast consisting solely of my responsibilities, and That Gets My Goat was born, starting out small, and eventually getting more ambitious, such as the two marathon shows we did in 2012.

Big and I talk often about our writing, about selling our short stories, perhaps charging for collections or special episodes, and becoming bolder in attempting to make a living from our words. I guess that brings me to the more personal part of my introduction. I have always struggled with depression, loneliness, frustration, and feelings of inadequacy. I'm naturally introverted and shockingly cowardly, so it takes a great effort to put myself out there, submit my work for acceptance/rejection, and act like a clown around strangers. I've been dealing with various personal weaknesses for twenty-five years or so, and I don't seem to be getting any better.

Having a forum like this, where I can be myself (or at least a version of myself, perhaps a step distant), has helped me have a bit more courage and ambition, but still, it's an uphill climb, and I do sometimes wonder if it will always be. This forum has been nice as a way to get to know our listeners, others out there in the same field, and make new friends. Thanks for posting on here, and for reading through this. Hopefully, it told you something about me you didn't already know.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Re: Outfield, Rish Outfield

Postby Seraph » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Heck - I only just discovered this ! Cool to know a bit more about you Rish. Also cool that the forum is in some way helping your courage / ambition. I'm hoping to hear more of your stories in the future !

Is it true that 'Rish' is short for 'Richelieu' ?
What I'm up to, art-wise : http://death-from.blogspot.com/
Seraph

Postby Elendae » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm glad you have a place where you can open up and be yourself. Thanks for sharing, Rish. I don't know about everyone else, but I think you're pretty cool. It's a hard thing to put yourself out there.
Elendae

Postby bria » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 am

Rish, I admire you a ton. You and Big are both awesome. I know I haven't been a forum participant lately (sorry :( ), but I'm trying to catch up on my Dunesteef forum reading. This is the first thing I saw since I was last here, and I had to tell you that what you have done with the Dunesteef and TGMG and your writing is amazing. I still listen to every episode as soon as it comes out. Out of the many podcasts I listen to, the Dunesteef is still my favorite. Your self-proclaimed cowardly-ness has never been evident to me, and I've listened to every episode, to many of the TGMG episodes, and read most of the forum. It takes guts to do what you've done. Writing and putting your work out there is nothing short of courageous.
bria

Postby Rish Outfield » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:14 am

So, Abbie has been encouraging me to set up a Patreon account. It's been going on for a while now, since Patreon sometimes sends me emails letting me know I created a username once and never did anything with it. She says that people might be happy to reward me for writing and/or podcasting short stories, and while that sounds pretty tasty, I do worry that only one person will ever support the thing, and then I'll have even more excuses not to put out my work.

This week I'll be releasing "Lost & Found," a story about twice the size of "The Calling" as it appeared on our show. I wonder if I might not have put it out there sooner, had I had a fanbase I felt obligated to please, or at least answer to. Abbie has always been very supportive of my creative efforts, so I'm gonna put this out here:

1. Should I do a Patreon thing?

2. If so, should I focus on short stories, or podcasts?

3. If I did so, would you support it?

4. If you would, what kind of incentives/bonuses would be attractive to you?

5. Have you any experience with Patreon you'd like to share?

Any comments--preferably more than one or fewer--would be appreciated.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Postby AspirationRealized » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Heya Rish.

First thing's first, if you want people to actually see this question you should probably have it set up as its own thread somewhere. It's only because I'm actively looking for any new activity on this forum (and because things are slow enough any activity stands out) that I saw this. Imagine if instead I was notified that there were responses to my introduction thread and I went there first, and made a response. Then my thread would still be the most recent post from the board index, and it would be much harder to notice this one. The last response to this thread before you posted this was three years ago, is all I'm saying. I know you're used to not getting a lot of responses, but you're partly responsible if you're not getting the word out in the best way possible.

Now to answer your questions.

1. Should you do a Patreon thing? Yes. You have nothing to lose and a lot to potentially gain. I know an artist who did great work (in this specific instance it was comics) but could only give her fans 2-3 updates a year because she had to keep a "real" job to sustain herself. She did a Patreon specifically focused on replacing her day job with her passion and now she gets paid to do what she loves, and her fans get more content. Everyone wins.

I'm not saying that's guaranteed to happen here, but it's not impossible. You shouldn't let the potential of it not working keep you from doing it. By deciding not to try you are making it certain it won't happen.

2. Should you focus on short stories or podcasts. I'll answer your question with a question: are they mutually exclusive?

3. Would I support it? No... at least not for a while. I'd rather not get into details but I'm not in a position where I have extra income. And I don't mean that I've decided my extra income is going elsewhere, like a lot of people mean when they say this. I mean there is zero.

But if I could I would already be donating to the Dunesteef, and yes such a Patreon would interest me.

4. I think my answer to question 3 excludes me from this, but I'll answer it anyway. What kind of incentives / bonuses do I think would be attractive to your fans (such as myself). More episodes / content. More frequent episodes would probably be the main draw of such a thing, of the RishOutcast and even the Dunesteef. Some other cool incentives for listeners / fans could be putting their names in stories, or an insult from Sir Fake Sean Connery. Top patrons could get a song from Sir Fake Sean and the tippy top could get their stories narrated by you.

When I write things I use an application called Evernote because I can sync my writing between my phone and computer. One of the other features is you can invite others to peek at your notebooks - some of my more supportive friends watch my progress as I write, through this. I think this would be an even better idea for someone who is more well known or someone who actually has a fan base. So maybe that could be an incentive, being able to watch your progress as you write.

5. My only experience with Patreon was mentioned in my answer to question 1, in which I observed someone using Patreon to turn their passion from hobby to main source of income.
AspirationRealized

Postby Marshal Latham » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 pm

1. Should I do a Patreon thing? Yes, of course. Why Not?

2. If so, should I focus on short stories, or podcasts? Are you trying to drum up income for the Dunesteef or for yourself? It sounds like you are talking about yourself here, so I would say stories. There's no reason you still can't podcast them for the Dunsteef or the Rish Outcast, but I think story production and compensation for said story production is what you are going for here. But I could be wrong.

3. If I did so, would you support it? Yes, of course. Why Not?

4. If you would, what kind of incentives/bonuses would be attractive to you? 1) Narration of stories, scripts, whatever of my (or voted upon) choosing 2) Requests for FSC; 3) stories written to my (or voted upon) premise

5. Have you any experience with Patreon you'd like to share? I have seriously looked into it for the JIP. In fact, I will most likely have a Patreon setup when I come back from hiatus. My only hesitation is the incentives. I don't know what would be attractive that I can offer. I'm not as talented and funny as you are, and my time is limited, so I have to think about incentives that would be doable by me and valuable to others.
Marshal Latham

Postby Seraph » Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 pm

1. Should I do a Patreon thing? Sure - Why not ?

2. If so, should I focus on short stories, or podcasts? Stories, I'd say.

3. If I did so, would you support it? If there is anything that would finally get me to be involved in a Patreon thing - it'd be you !

4. If you would, what kind of incentives/bonuses would be attractive to you? Marshal's story vote thing sounds fun.

5. Have you any experience with Patreon you'd like to share? None whatsoever sorry !
What I'm up to, art-wise : http://death-from.blogspot.com/
Seraph

Return to Introduce Yourself