Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

What are you reading?

Read any good books? Discuss them here.

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Rish Outfield » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:58 pm

Mikes wrote:Huh, weird. I can't buy it through amazon.com.au :(

Is it not even listed there? Or it just won't let you buy it? Because I put that I owned the rights in all territories, but maybe I left your corner of the world out.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Postby Mikes » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Wouldn't be the first time we've been left out ;)

But no, now it's there. It may have been because I followed the .com link.

Anyhoo, it's incoming tp my phone now.
Mikes

Postby AspirationRealized » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

Posting here will reveal how little I've read, but I believe this is a more than worthy topic to bring back. As I mentioned, I haven't done a whole lot of reading (not since I read Goosebumps voraciously in middle school). I know, it seems no one is as well read as they'd like to be, but there are lots of books/authors that everyone has read except me.

One recent example is Stephen King. I read my first Stephen King book a couple weeks ago, The Dead Zone, on Rish's recommendation. It was good, a real page turner, and kept me guessing. The feel of this book wasn't entirely horror, although there were definitely some creepy bits (the dream he has of the wheel of fortune in which Stillson and Dodd make an appearance stands out to me). And of course, there's also the unsettling visions of the murders when he investigates them.

Not to get too political, but I found it amusing how similar Stillson seems to Trump in the Laughing Tiger sort of way. The similarities were even more obvious in the film adaptation, which my parents wanted me to watch after reading the book (there's a big red button scene which people seem to joke about if Trump gets elected). Oddly enough I felt the film had a more cohesive plot than the book, but the execution wasn't as good (although I will admit some of this is how dated the film is, and some of it is the limitations of film when it comes to a narrative that takes place mostly inside the main character's head).

I'm currently reading The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allan Poe. While I was glancing through Writer's Market I found that the Mystery Writers of America give a trophy that is a bust of Poe. This made me curious, so some quick research revealed that Poe is credited with the first modern detective tale (the title of which is the very same mentioned). I sort of feel like this might be one of those things everyone knows except me.

After I finish the Rue Morgue (which is taking a while since it is competing with writing time and it's a little drier than I'm used to) I'll probably read Misery by Stephen King if I can find a copy. If not, probably The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett.
AspirationRealized

Previous

Return to Books & Short Stories