Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

The Rish Outcast

For comments on podcasts that aren't the Dunesteef.

The Rish Outcast

Postby bria » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Same comment as with the Anklecast. I didn't see a thread, so I'm starting one.

Fake Sir Sean Connery and Arnold Schwartzenegger duet = priceless
bria

Re: The Rish Outcast

Postby bria » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Fake Sir Sean Connery and Fake Arnold strike again! Or strike back?

For all the Rish Outcast fans out there, you better check out the 2nd to most recent episode (edited! I'm apparently not caught up). It has a fun little Easter egg (is that what it would be called?) at the end. But listen to the whole thing. You're a fan, after all.

http://rishoutfield.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... -days.html
bria

Postby Rish Outfield » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm

"Funny" discovery I made today doing a search to see whether I had podcast a certain story or not. I discovered the iTunes review of the Rish Outcast (who knew that would be a thing), and one of them was quite negative. Basically they said, "He promises to have stories on his show, and that's fine, but there are far more episodes that are just him going on and on about himself and about people I don't know and things I don't care about. It's basically him recording his own therapy sessions."

Now, I could (and do) agree with everything she's said so far, but then we get to the last sentence, where she says, "For the price it costs, this is hardly worth the money. Not recommended."

I can't get behind this statement in any way. But that makes me wonder if there's actually a way to pay for the farligging Rish Outcast. Because, to my knowledge, I've not only never asked for a dime on that podcast . . . there's no way TO PAY for it, even if you wanted to. Hmmm.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Postby Rish Outfield » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Okay, I needed this for reference, so here's a (definitive?) list of all the Rish Outcasts.

Episode 1: Pilot
Episode 2: Subtext (Rish Outfield)
Episode 3: Beyond the Fence (Rish Outfield)
Episode 4: Knock (Fredric Brown--incentive episode)
Episode 5: All Night Gas (Rish Outfield)
Episode 6: Conversation Episode
Episode 7: One For The Road (Stephen King--incentive episode)
Episode 8: The Little Talk (Transformers PSA)
Episode 9: Mick Attends An Elementary School Carnival (Rish Outfield)
Episode 10: Fradenscheude
Episode 11: Last Night of Freedom (Rish Outfield)
Episode 12: A Goal Is A Wish Your Butt Makes
Episode 13: Sea Monkey Do
Episode 14: Birth of a Sidekick 1 (Rish Outfield)
Episode 15: Birth of a Sidekick 2 (Rish Outfield)
Episode 16: Birth of a Sidekick 3 (Rish Outfield)
Episode 17: Birth of a Sidekick 4 (Rish Outfield)
Episode 18: X-mas Show
Episode 19: The Key Collector (Rish Outfield)
Episode 20: Creature Feature (R.O.)
Episode 21: Metacast
Episode 22: Q&A 1
Episode 23: Q&A 2
Episode 24: Chasing Pavements
Episode 25: Chalupa Dale - Next Exit (R.O.)
Episode 26: A Novel in 90 Days
Episode 27: Dry Run Updated
Episode 28: Not-A-Novel
Episode 29: Boom Clap
Episode 30: Unconventional 1 (R.O.)
Episode 31: Unconventional 2 (R.O.)
Episode 32: Beggar's Canyon 1 (R.O.)
Episode 33: Beggar's Canyon 2 (R.O.)
Episode 34: The Terran Chronicles
Episode 35: Schlonz
Episode 36: The Crate (Stephen King--incentive episode)
Episode 37: The Ugly Table 1 (R.O.)
Episode 38: The Ugly Table 2 (R.O.)
Episode 39: The Trouble With Zara
Episode 40: Abram the Ghostly Friend
Episode 41: The Hocking Dead
Episode 42: Oh Honey, Your First Novel!
Episode 43: Mary Sue Ex Machina
Episode 44: Ask Me No Questions (Q&A 3)
Episode 45: I Think It's Your New Book!
Episode 46: Q&A 4
Episode 47: Q&A 5
Episode 48: "Climb" Every Mountain
Episode 49: Grey Skies Ahead
Episode 50: Sequel of a Sidekick
Episode 51: Bob A. Duke
Episode 52: I Can Try That!
Episode 53: Travels With Father
Episode 54: Old Man River (R.O.)
Episode 55: Into the Furnace Post-Mortem
Episode 56: The Big Release
Episode 57: Rest Stop (R.O.)
Episode 58: And Then What Happened?
Episode 59: Stormy Weather 1 (R.O.)
Episode 60: Stormy Weather 2 (R.O.)
Episode 61: Abject Failure - Solo Version
Episode 62: I Went Out Walking
Episode 63: Unpleasant Sensation (R.O.)
Episode 64: It's Astounding, Time is Fleeting
Episode 65: Dead Letter (R.O.)
Episode 66: Expecto Patreon!
Episode 67: Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
Episode 68: Unique Combination (R.O.)
Episode 69: Bland Ambition
Episode 70: I Went Out Riding
Episode 71: Ladies Room (R.O.)
Episode 72: The Episode from the Brown Depths
Episode 73: To See The Invisible Man (Robert Silverberg--incentive episode)
Episode 74: If It Sucks...
Episode 75: Goodnight Moviehouse
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

It's Astounding, Time is Fleeting

Postby Desmond Warzel » Fri May 12, 2017 8:38 pm

The other day, while out for an afternoon constitutional, I took the opportunity to work my way through a backlog of The Rish Outcast. I was listening to the episode titled "It's Astounding, Time is Fleeting," and was startled to hear my name mentioned. I nearly walked into the ditch, in fact.[1] It's not every day that my name comes up in a conversation (or in this case, a monologue) in which I myself am not a participant.

Rish was talking about an attitude I had conveyed to him during our correspondence regarding the adaptation of my story "Wikihistory." I had said, approximately, that I was basically constitutionally incapable of giving away my work, and that it was a point of honor that I must be paid. I couldn't quite ascertain Rish's tone as he was recollecting this. He didn't seem to recall it with pleasure, but I hope with all my heart that I imagined that. I surely came across as a complete boor at the time in bringing up the subject, but I'd hate to think he'd been harboring ill will for all this time.[2] Let me correct the record: I did know I would be paid--Big had already told me so--but the contract that Big sent me omitted this information, and I thought it best to clarify before the fact rather than after. That's the only reason the topic was in the air at all.

Rish's interpretation of my attitude is not wrong; it is a principle with me that I be paid for my work. To me, this is stating the embarrassingly obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people just assume I'll let them use my stories for free (I attempt to address this humorously in the Infrequently Asked Questions section of my blog). I've been ripped off a few times, but generally I've been paid for every appearance of my work. It doesn't have to be much, but it has to be something. (I was more than content with the Dunesteef's payment; I'd have happily accepted less.) [3]

Mind you, I don't necessarily believe that my philosophy on this subject is the only valid one. If I had a fraction of Big and Rish's talent for voice work (combined with their gift for creating relatable characters), its possible that I'd delight in crafting stories, breathing life into my characters with my own voice, and launching them into the world like the baby spiders at the end of Charlotte's Web, without thought of recompense. Trust me, Rish experiences a much greater joy recording stories and releasing them on his podcast than I (or most people) do in sending off stories to places that I know, with complete metaphysical certitude, will reject them,[5] probably by letting them sit in an email folder for six months[6] until some slush reader scans the first paragraph and hits the reject button.

But Desmond, but Desmond, who's paying Big and Rish for their time and trouble while you're backstroking around your Scrooge McDuck-style money vault? Yeah, I know. As a consumer of podcasts and online periodicals, I've enjoyed a great many stories without paying for them. For that matter, I feel guilty checking books out from the library or buying them used. I still do it, though. If it helps, I've promised myself that if I ever win the Publisher's Clearing House, I'd pay back all the people who have provided me with free entertainment over the years. Big and Rish have a substantial slice of that dough coming, if it materializes.

All of which is in service of saying that I was thrilled when Big and Rish asked to do "Wikihistory" as I am a longtime fan who thinks they do a fantastic job every time out (I was especially pleasantly-surprised, when the audio version of my otherwise-rather-silly story "Cosmetic Procedures" came out, to discover that they'd tapped Rish to narrate it, because I knew he'd nail it); that there's no other podcast quite like the Dunesteef; that having listened to every episode, I almost feel as if I'm friends with them, which they are free to interpret in the least-creepy way they can; that I hope any hard feelings exist solely within the depths of my own fevered imagination; and that as far as I'm concerned, Big and Rish can run as many of my stories as they want.

(As long as they pay me.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

[1] It was only slightly less startling than ]this random writing class being conducted by Brandon Sanderson, where at around the 20:30 mark, he suddenly spends five minutes or so talking about me.

[2] Not that I don't appreciate a good grudge. I was just thinking the other day about some stuff a guy pulled back in 1978 that I never got back at him for.

[3] What the heck; probably nobody cares, but just in case any writers or prospective writers are interested in a little inside baseball, here's a breakdown of what I've made from what most people still consider my signature story: the 1000-word "Wikihistory." I've earned $281.33 [I think] for it: $49.90 for the original 2007 publication in Abyss & Apex; $24.95 to reprint it in the anthology The Best of Abyss & Apex Volume One; $9.98 to reprint it in in the anthology Timelines; $107.00 to reprint it at Tor.com; $49.00 to reprint it on a dedicated tab at the Abyss & Apex website; $10.00 to reprint it in the ebook Funny Science Fiction; $20.50 from the fine young eggs at the Dunesteef; and an additional $10.00 from the eventual print edition of the aforementioned Funny Science Fiction (for a total of $281.33) [4]. As you can see, the Dunesteef's remuneration is well within the respectable portion of that spectrum.

[4] There's also one unpaid reprint from early in my career when I just assumed that payment was implied and didn't bother to clarify the fact.

[5] Granted, I did once crack the venerable Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, but that was four years ago, and the thrill has faded. The thrill still lasted longer than the money did, though.

[6] Actually, Clarkesworld usually rejects stories in a day or two, which is why I always send everything to them first, even though they never have, and surely never will, publish anything of mine. It's just something you get out of the way before the real proceedings begin. Submitting to Clarkesworld is like performing the national anthem before a ball game; it's purely symbolic and has no impact on the eventual outcome, but it just doesn't seem right to skip it.
Desmond Warzel

Postby Rish Outfield » Sat May 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Doctor Warzel, I don't know in what context I brought you up--hopefully not in a disparaging way--but I assume it was because I admire your mindset and/or work ethic. Apologies if I sounded like I was complaining about you, or outright called you a twit.*

That being said, this post was actually quite inspirational to me, and I clicked on your (In)Frequently Asked Questions link and got a good laugh out of it. I've often thought about creating a personal website that has pretty pictures and links and amusing pages and passageways that lead nowhere, but it's probably never going to happen. I didn't know you were a listener of the show before I did your story for "Cast of Wonders" (which reminds me, I'm almost overdue on a reading for them), but you got out of it exactly what I hoped you would.

Thanks for visiting the forums. If we ever start running stories on the 'steef again, you'll be the first person I call. After Algar Van Cluth, of course . . . I owe him one.

*There's really only one author out there I despise enough to mention by name (besides Drac Von Stoller, who's not a real author, regardless of how much money he claims to bring in), and that may just be sour grapes.
Rish Outfield
Site Admin

Postby Desmond Warzel » Sun May 21, 2017 3:53 pm

You just sounded so...wistful. As if to say, We're not mad at you, Desmond, just disappointed.
Desmond Warzel

Return to Other Podcasts