Welcome
Welcome to dunesteef

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

TGMG 183: Suicide Is Painless

Discuss the topics of conversation from TGMG episodes

TGMG 183: Suicide Is Painless

Postby BigAnklevich » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Discuss:

After hearing pretty ghastly things*, Big and Rish go ahead and see SUICIDE SQUAD, the latest DC superhero movie from Warner Bros.. A co-production with the tattoo industry, apparently.

*For the record, at this writing, its Rotten Tomatoes score is a 27%.
BigAnklevich
Site Admin

Re: TGMG 183: Suicide Is Painless

Postby Seraph » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm going to have to see this movie now !
What I'm up to, art-wise : http://death-from.blogspot.com/
Seraph

Postby AndyD273 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Rotten Tomatoes does have two scores per movie; one for the critics and one for the audience.
So while SS has a 26% from critics, it has a 68% from the audience. (BvS had 27% and 65% btw.)
Probably a lot of the negatives are focusing on the areas where it was weak, and from the sounds of it, it did have some areas that could have done better (weaving in the characters back stories for one).
When you've seen it done really well like in most of the Marvel movies, and especially Avengers, where each character gets a good bit on screen and a satisfying character arc, other movies have to work harder to stand up.
Of the DC movies I've seen, they don't really do that well. Take Batman's mom for instance. She's alive, then she's dead on the ground, so her whole character arc is only about 90 degrees...
I do plan to see it, and your review has helped a bit.
AndyD273

Postby AspirationRealized » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm

https://youtu.be/mDclQowcE9I

I'll return with my own thoughts soon, but I thought you guys might find this interesting.
AspirationRealized

Postby phlegmaticreflection » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I avoided this podcast because of spoilers but recently saw it sop I'll go back and listen. I watched the extended version which I heard is better so I might have different opinions. Actually I thought it was a weird mixture of decent and ****, and all the songs seemed shoe-horned in. It was like they saw deadpool, noticed it had a few old songs and thought, "hey lets do that x 100". And yeah some of the characters just popped up with no backstory. The sword girl and the Australian guy for example.
phlegmaticreflection

Postby AndyD273 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am

[quote="phlegmaticreflection"]I avoided this podcast because of spoilers but recently saw it sop I'll go back and listen. I watched the extended version which I heard is better so I might have different opinions. Actually I thought it was a weird mixture of decent and ****, and all the songs seemed shoe-horned in.

So I finally saw it, and decided that yes, DC can even ruin their villains.

I went into it with low expectations.
They were almost low enough.
It was so close. I think the thing that pushed it from "sub par but watchable" to "oh god what have you done!?" was the Joker.
The Joker is supposed to be fun. It's all fun and games and laughter even as he's murdering you.

This Joker was a sad brooding shadow trying to be scary and volatile. Just a tattooed thug with a skin condition and a drug habit.
Before this movie I used to say that the one thing that DC had going for it is their villains. Now I know that DC can even ruin them.
Batman is good, the rest of the heroes are boring, and now their villains are too.
Playing Batman Arkham Knight right now and Batman is basically hallucinating the Joker throughout the game and wow does he make Jared Leto look bad. Not that it's hard...
Major game spoilers: The Joker Scenes (Arkham Knight)
AndyD273

Return to That Gets My Goat